PADI Instructor Course (IDC) Cape Town
If you have a passion for scuba diving and want to share your love of the aquatic world with others while doing what you enjoy – become a PADI Instructor!!
Here at Adrenalised Diving based in the V&A Waterfront, Cape Town want to help you turn your diving career dreams into a reality. PADI Divemasters or PADI Assistant Instructors and qualified Divemasters from other recreational scuba-training agencies may enrol in a PADI IDC.
The IDC (Instructor Development Course) is your next step into becoming a PADI Instructor, it is an intensive introduction to one of the most exciting industries in the world. Headed up by Danny Martin, a Platinum Course Director since it’s inception in 2000. The honour of 'Platinum' status is only awarded to those Course Directors who demonstrate the highest level of pass rate and continuing career success for their candidates. Danny, a PADI Course Director for the past 13 years, is a highly experienced Instructor Trainer who has met strict educational proficiency requirements and conducts all IDC’s. He is the only South African Platinum CD to have registered over 300 instructor certifications in 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011,2012 and 2013 and to have been awarded platinum status annually since its inception.
TRAINING AND CERTIFICATION OVERVIEW
The PADI instructor Development Course (IDC) is the heart of the instructor training process. During the IDC, you will apply your diving skills and knowledge to learn to teach the PADI system in the Classroom, Confined Water (Pool) and in Open Water. The PADI Instructor Development Course (IDC) consists of 2 training phases:
1) The Assistant Instructor (AI) Program and the 2) Open Water Scuba Instructor (OWSI) Program.
The IDC is then followed by a two day Instructor Examination (IE), conducted by PADI Worldwide. Candidates who have successfully completed an IDC, enrol in a
PADI IE (Independent Exam). The PADI Instructor Examination (IE) is the evaluation phase of the PADI IDC and are run by PADI Office staff.
This all comes together with the PADI Specialty instructor training. Completion of the training phase may be met by taking either an Instructor Development Course (AI) plus (OWSI), or by completing the programs individually as it suits you. However, it is highly recommended that you complete the IE as soon as viable after the OWSI program.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Submit medical clearance for diving signed by a physician, attesting to fitness to dive. The medical clearance must be current within the previous 12 months. The physician signing the medical clearance cannot be the applicant. The doctors letter must state”fit to Dive”.
- Have been a certified diver (OPW) for at least 6 months and have completed and logged at least 60 dives. (As documented in your own logbook).
- Note. To attend an Instructor Examination (IE), the instructor candidate must have been a certified diver (open water or equivalent) for at least 6 months and have logged at least 100 logged dives.
- Submit proof of Instructor CPR and 1st Aid training within the past 24 months. Preferably the PADI EFRI course.
- Submit documentation of any equivalent certifications for entry level advanced and rescue certifications issued by another recreational diver training organization. If submitting an equivalent rescue diver certification, also include copies of first aid training documentation.
Divers from other Scuba Training Organisations are required:
- To have been a certified diver for at least 6 months and have completed and logged at least 60 dives.
- Be a current Divemaster member in good standing with another recreational diver training organization for at least 6 months.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Submit medical clearance for diving signed by a physician, attesting to fitness to dive. The medical clearance must be current within the previous 12 months. The physician signing the medical clearance cannot be the applicant.
- Note. To attend the IE, the instructor candidate must have been certified for at least 6 months and have completed and logged at least 100 dives.
- Submit proof of CPR and first aid training within the last 24 months.
For class sessions and independent study each Instructor Candidate is required to have the following materials (IDC Crewpack):
- Guide to teaching Instructor Workbook
- Specialty instructor guide CD
- Specialty Instructor Outline on dvd
- Diving Knowledge Workbook
- Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving
- AWARE – Coral Reef Conservation Specialty Instructor Outline
- RDP – Both versions (Table and eRDPml) including associated Instructions for use booklets)
- PADI Open Water Diver Manual
- Open Water Diver Quizes and Exams booklets
- PADI Adventures in Diving Manual
- PADI Rescue Diver Manual
- Rescue Diver final exam booklet
- PADI Divemaster manual
- Divemaster final exam booklet
- Aquatic Cue Cards – for Open Water Diver, Adventures in Diving, Rescue Diver, Dive Master and Discover Scuba Diving
- Confined Water Lesson Preparation slate Open Water Training Dive Lesson Planning slate
Each Instructor Candidate is required to have the following equipment:
- Fins, Mask, Snorkel and Wetsuit
- BCD with low pressure inflator
- Regulator with Alternate air source, pressure gauge and depth gauge
- Weight belt
- Timing Device
- Divers knife
- Dive table
- 2 x Emergency signaling devices (e.g., whistle and Surface Marker Buoy)
- 2 Pens and 2 pencils
- Highlighter pens
- Stick on notes (Post-its)
The following is required on date of registration:
- 3 ID Photographs
- All PADI and Non PADI certification copies (from entry level and upwards)
- All C-cards
- In-Date Medical(12 months)
- Proof of in-date Instructor CPR
- History of diving – 1 page only and must include: Start date of entry level diving course, Where you have dived, Specialty courses, Favourite dive sites
- PADI IDC - 10 days
- PADI IE - 2 days
INSTRUCTOR COURSE PACKAGE:
IDC - MSDT includes:
- IDC & IDC Crewpack Course Materials
- AI Online (Dive Theory Made Simple) E-Book
- Emergency First Response Instructor (EFRI) Tuition
- MSDT - Master Scuba Diver Trainer Course (5 Instructor Specialty Ratings)
- All platinum venues include accomodation/air/tanks/weights/boats/pools etc.
IDC - MSDT excludes:
- EFRI Start up pack Training materials
- Registration (IE, IDC, EFRI) fees payable directly to PADI
- Equipment rental if needed
IDC, EFRI Tuition, MSDT + IDC Candidate crewpack
EFRI Course Materials
IDC Registration (Paid directly to PADI UK)
EFRI Registration (Paid directly to PADI UK)
Instructor Exam (Paid directly to PADI UK)
|5 Specialty Instructor Ratings (Paid directly to PADI UK)||pounds tbc|
|PADI Specialty CD||pounds 27|