The dive site Geldkis is an inshore rocky reef in the North Oudekraal area on the Atlantic seaboard of the Cape Peninsula, near Cape Town. The site has rugged topography, with walls, swim throughs, gullies, overhangs and chimneys and varied and colourful sea life, and is spectacular in good visibility. There is a small group of Cape fur seals resident in the area, which often visit divers.
DIVE SITE DESCRIPTIONCERTIFICATION LEVEL:
- Minimum: Open Water
- Maximum depth on the sand is about 15m on the seaward side, and nearer 10m inshore of the rocks.
- Geldkis is a large group of huge granite boulders and outcrops which extends above water about 5m and down to sand bottom on the seaward and landward sides.
- There are numerous lower submerged boulders around the exposed ones, Inshore they tend to reach up to about 4 to 6m depth on top, but seaward they tend to be somewhat deeper and flatter in profile.
- Many of the boulders are arranged such that there are overhangs, swim-throughs and caves under them.
- The site is often at it's best during or after south easterly winds.
- It is exposed to south westerly swells, and surge can be strong, particularly in the swim throughs.
- Kelp forests on the tops of the shallower rocks.
- Walls exposed to the south west and north west swells are relatively bare compared to overhangs, caves and sheltered areas, some of which are very colourful and heavily encrusted with sponges and small sea fans.
- More exposed areas have a lot of red bait and black mussel, and the low reef on the windward side is granite boulders covered with pink corallines and huge numbers of sea urchins.
- Also some limpets, red stars, whelks, small orange sponges and grey cucumbers as well as a huge variety of organisms in caves including knob ascidians, lobed ascidians, white ball sponges, noble corals and sea fans.
- October - May. The site is usually at it's best in summer, but there are also occasional opportunities in autumn and early winter.
- Minimum of 4 divers and a maximum of 8 divers.
FUN DIVE INCLUDES:
- 2 Certified Dive Guides.
- Boat Fees for 1 Dive (If you choose the catamaran option you need to add a second dive to your cart or go to our 2 tank yacht dive packages).
- Fruit Platter (On the catamaran).
- Bottled Water.
FUN DIVE EXCLUDES:
- MPA permit (R45).
- Equipment rental (full set): R625 per day including 1 cylinder.
- R140 per extra cylinder.