Freedive Justins Caves
Justins Caves consists of a group of big granite core stone outcrops and boulders with several swim throughs, overhangs, caves and deep narrow gaps between the rocks. Spectacular in good visibility as well as colourful reef life.
DIVE SITE DESCRIPTIONCERTIFICATION LEVEL:
- Minimum: Freediver
- Be comfortable to freedive to depths up to 13m.
- The swim throughs are reasonably spacious, but are an overhead environment for several metres, and the surge inside may be quite strong.
- One of the swim throughs involves a significant change of depth.
- The bottom is generally from about 8m to about 13m with very little sand.
- The Justins Caves group of rocks comprises of huge granite core stone boulders in a cluster, with several swim-throughs, narrow gaps, walls, overhangs and caves.
- Hardly any sand bottom is visible between the rocks which are spectacular in good visibility.
- There is a large iron anchor thought to be from the wreck of Het Huis te Kraaiestein on the low granite outcrops north of the caves.
- The dive site is often at its best during or after south easterly winds, but strong south easterly winds (offshore) can make it difficult to swim back to shore at the surface.
- It is exposed to south westerly swells, and surge can be strong, particularly in the swim-throughs.
- Keep a lookout for times when the south west swell is low and short period, and the south easterly winds have just stopped, for a good probability of good diving conditions.
- The rocks at the caves are covered in the typical reef life of the area, with spectacular growths of sponges, soft and noble corals, sea fans and ascidians in the sheltered areas under overhangs and in the swim throughs.
- October - May. The site is usually at it's best in summer, but there are also occasional opportunities in autumn and early winter.
- Minimum of 4 freedivers and a maximum of 8 freedivers.
FREEDIVE TRIP INCLUDES:
- 2 Certified Freedive Guides.
- Boat Fees.
- Fruit Platter (On the catamaran).
- Bottled Water.
FREEDIVE TRIP EXCLUDES:
- Equipment rental (full set): R420