Freedive Coral Gardens
Coral Gardens is a rocky reef at Oudekraal, on the Atlantic seaboard near Cape Town. The high biodiversity, stunning colour and spectacular topography make this one of Cape Town's most rewarding and colourful dive sites.
DIVE SITE DESCRIPTIONCERTIFICATION LEVEL:
- Minimum: Advanced Freediver
- Be comfortable to freedive to depths up to 17m.
- Average for the popular areas of the site is on average 10m. The maximum depth in the Coral Gardens bowl is 17m on the sandy bottom patches.
- The landscape both above and below water is dominated by large to very large granite corestone boulders and outcrops.
- There are lots of overhangs, crevices and small caves, with occasional swim-throughs as well as an air bubble cave under the inner group of high rocks on the south west side about halfway along the south side of the group, at about 8m.
- Often at its best during or after south easterly winds (offshore).
- The swell should be low, and short period, though a bit of white water on the outer reefs is normal.
- The site is exposed to the south west swell, which will both ruin the visibility and make the access difficult, though to some degree this is dissipated by the reefs south of Groot Pannekoek.
- This is a site where good visibility is usually accompanied by cold water. There is usually some surge, and it can be quite strong in the narrow gaps.
- Very rich in noble corals , small sea fans, sponges of a wide variety of shapes and colours, soft corals, bryozoans and colonial ascidians on walls and overhangs.
- Also of interest are walking anemones , Box jellyfish, and various nudibranchs.
- Mandela’s nudibranch is relatively common here, and seldom seen anywhere else.
- The Cowled nudibranch is also seen here more frequently than most dive sites in the area.
- October - May. The site is usually at it's best in summer, but there are also occasional opportunities in autumn and early winter.
- Minimum of 4 freedivers and a maximum of 8 freedivers.
FREEDIVE TRIP INCLUDES:
- 2 Certified Freedive Guides.
- Boat Fees.
- Fruit Platter (On the catamaran).
- Bottled Water.
FUN DIVE EXCLUDES:
- Equipment rental (full set): R420