A-Frame is an inshore rocky reef in the Oatlands Point area of Simon's Town near Cape Town. The site is reasonably easily accessible and is one of our most popular shore dives.
DIVE SITE DESCRIPTIONCERTIFICATION LEVEL:
- Minimum: Open Water
- The bottom is generally from 5 to 10m deep on the sand.
- A-Frame has a sand bottom with bedrock reef and big boulders, some breaking the surface.
- There are a few swim-throughs among the boulder groups north of the big rock.
- The big rock is pretty sheer on the south face, with a few deep crevices and overhangs.
- The seaward end of the big rock is also quite sheer, with a small cave, and is on a low flattish outcrop.
- A-Frame is fairly sheltered from south westerly swell but avoid strong south easterly winds and long period large amplitude south westerly swells.
- The site may be dived during or after westerly winds, and is generally a good winter dive site.
- It is also good for night dives
- There are lots of invertebrates like sponges, sea anemones and even some corals on this dive that cover the rocky overhangs and some swim throughs.
- Mussels, large groups of Spiny starfish and abalone can also be found here.
- May - October. The site is usually at it's best in winter with offshore winds, but there are also occasional opportunities in summer when there has been a period without strong south easters.
- Minimum of 1 diver and a maximum of 6 divers.
FUN DIVE INCLUDES:
- 2 Certified Dive Guides.
- MPA permit.
- Transport to and from the V&A Waterfront.
- Bottle of water.
FUN DIVE EXCLUDES:
- Equipment rental (full set): R625 per day including 1 cylinder.
- R140 per extra cylinder.